Women Veterans are invited to attend a special workshop exploring the link between what you eat and how you feel.
Ever think of starting your own business? Want to know if you have what it takes?
“BrainTrust” Workshop Hosted by the Liberty USO (powered by Bunker Labs)
• What the Military Taught You About Business (that you didn’t know)
• The Right (and Wrong) Reasons to Start a Business
• Caution: Habits You Learned from the Military You Need to Break
• How to Identify a Good Business Idea? Getting Started
Veteran Entrepreneurs Include:
· Mike Maher, Navy Veteran, Founder of Benjamin’s Desk and CEO at Houwzer.
· John New, Army Veteran, CEO of The Hub
· Joe Witte, Army Veteran, Executive Director of Bunker Labs
· And more!
Who’s Welcome? All active, transitioning and prior service military and spouses.
Attendees will receive: Free business cards, discounted incorporation, Free Amazon Web Services and Microsoft credits and more!
Cost to attend is Free. RSVP: https://www.meetup.com/BunkerLabsPHL/events/240965538/
BrainTrust will be followed by “Bunker Brews” with free dinner and beverages (6-9p).
Does our fear of failure keep us from just going for it? John New, Veteran and CEO at Workshop Mercantile, will share how he saw a problem in meeting space, took a major risk, and built one of the largest corporate meeting companies on the East coast.
This event will be held at Citizens Bank Park and preceded by a Liberty USO/ Bunker Labs "BrainTrust" workshop.
6:00-7p: Meet and greet fellow Veteran Innovators, grab a food and a cold beverage at Citizens Bank Park
7p: Introduction to Bunker Labs and how we are impacting veteran innovation
7:00-7:30p: Special John New, Army Infantry Veteran, CEO of Workshop Mercantile shares how he saw an opportunity and went for it, which led to a successful exit of his company, The Hub.
7:30-8:30p: Meet new people, exchange business cards, learn something new.
Thank you to our event sponsor Liberty USO
Who Should Attend?
Active duty, guard, reserve, veterans, family members, and those working in military and veteran service organizations.
What are the Discussion Points?
Presenter-led guided discussions will cover topics such as reintegration, PTSD, suicide, military training, logistics, and family separation. Gain insight from one another during the group discussions.
Who is Presenting the Workshop?
Thomas Edison State University, its Heavin School of Arts and Sciences and its Office of Military and Veteran Education are proud to present this free two-day workshop.
Why Should I Attend?
Historically, military personnel and their families have experienced challenges when reintegrating into civilian society following military service, particularly in times of war.
Engaging with those who have experienced similar challenges and those responsible for providing vital services to veterans is important to overcoming these challenges.
A study of the humanities provides insight and perspectives on a variety of these experiences.
The workshop provides networking opportunities and links to veteran service organizations.
Mental Health Partnerships, in collaboration with the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs and the Women Veterans Center, is delighted to invite you to the opening night reception for I Am Not Invisible (IANI)!
The brainchild of PSU Veterans Resource Center Director Felita Singleton and ODVA Women Veterans Coordinator Elizabeth Estabrooks, IANI is a remarkable exhibition that features 20 portraits of Oregon women military veterans. This event is free and open to the public.
Bunker Labs is excited to partner with Hussian College and discuss the impact of technology, and how veterans can use available resources in the Philadelphia region to learn coding, and either find high demand positions, or start their own companies.
Join our rockstar speakers, and come for food and beverages to learn how you can put our career on a new trajectory by learning to code.
- Greg Payton, PNC Technology Team, US Army Veteran
- Sylvester Mobley, Coded By Kids, USMC Veteran
- Jeremiah Staropoli, Hussian College President, PhD
- Mike Betz, GM of Military Student Initiatives, Army Veteran
Thank you to our sponsor Hussian College
Agenda for the Day
8:00-8:30am: Registration, Networking, & Buffet Breakfast
9:00-11:30am: Job Fair & One on One Sessions
Keynote Speaker: John DiNapoli, President Spencer Ryan LLC, Brigadier US Army (Ret.)
$25 for pre-registered members, $35 for late registrations (After November 3)
James Ask (JPMC) will be hosting this action packed night of axe competition at Urban Axes. The event will last between 2-2.5 hours followed by beer and snacks. Here is the link to Urban Axes. Take a peak and see if you have what it takes to be The CEO Circle Bad Ax Champion.
6:00-8:30 Networking, Food, Beers, and Throwing Axes
This is an invite only event. Please email Philadelphia@bunkerlabs.org if you would like to join CEOcircle.
Join us for an evening of networking, dinner, and inspiration as Veteran Entrepreneurs pitch their business ideas!
Veteran Shark Tank was created by Greater Philadelphia Veterans Network (GPVN) as a way to help veterans who are starting their own businesses. Similar to the popular television show Shark Tank, aspiring Veteran entrepreneurs pitch their business idea to a panel of ‘sharks’ and audience members, BUT, with a twist...
Rather than an investment, our winners take home a cash prize of $10,000. It is a tremendous opportunity for veterans who are starting their own businesses to receive support, guidance and to compete for funding as they work to move their businesses forward.
Annual Summit Supporting Veteran Entrepreneurs
Bunker Labs Philadelphia, will be hosting The Muster 2017: Innovate & Inspire on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at the state-of-the-art Pennovation Center. Bunker Labs Philadelphia, a local non-profit accelerator program has helped start and grow 20 enterprises owned by veteran and active-duty military entrepreneurs at local co-working space, Benjamin’s Desk.
The Muster, sponsored by JPMorgan Chase, will feature a variety of dignitaries, successful entrepreneurs and authors for a full day of panels and fireside chats showcasing their businesses, and an Idea Lab from leading business and other military leaders.
“The Bunker Labs Philadelphia team is excited to showcase the tremendous veteran innovation happening right here in Philadelphia at our upcoming Muster Event”
-Joe Witte, Program Director for Bunker Labs Philadelphia.
“I didn’t have any expectations when I showed up at last year’s Muster. The speakers were amazing. I walked away with a new level of confidence knowing that other veterans have walked in my shoes and had the ability to achieve business and personal success by leveraging their military experience”
- Sean Gwinner, Army Veteran, Partner of Crownstone Investment Group.
The current featured speakers include:
Veteran Speakers Include:
- Chef Robert Irvine, host of “Restaurant Impossible” will share stories of how he joined the Royal Navy at age 15, launched a career in food service and entertainment and now gives back to service men and women at every chance.
- MG Spider Marks (Ret), General Marks wrapped up an impressive military career as the Commanding General of the US Army Intelligence Center and is currently a military analyst for CNN and provides leadership consulting for the Thayer Leader Development Group.
- Kim Jung, CEO of Rumi Spice, is changing the Afghan economy by importing sustainably farmed saffron to the US. Kimberly is both a Harvard and West Point graduate.
- Guy Filippelli, CEO of Red Owl Analytics, and partner at NextGen Venture Partners. Guy has led Red Owl to more than $17mm in funding, and won “Best in Show” at Philly PACT. He’s a West Point and Oxford graduate.
- James Brobyn, CEO of Cause Engine, was previously the Executive Director at the Travis Manion Foundation, helping them raise more than $10mm, and is now the CEO at CauseEngine, a consulting firm for non-profits. James is a Naval Academy graduate and served two tours in Iraq with the USMC.
- Tony Sanchez, VP of Customer Experience Delivery at Comcast. In this role he acts as a catalyst for culture change. Tony is a 14-year veteran of the US Navy where served as an officer in the Navy SEAL Teams.
- Mike Maher, Co-founder and CEO of Houwzer, a former Naval Officer and co-founder of successful startups including: Houwzer, Benjamin's Desk, Bunker Labs Philadelphia, and Startup Grind
Philadelphia veteran-owned businesses to be featured at the Muster include:
- GEO Graves, LLC CEO, Dan Carlson (US Air Force Veteran)
- NeuroFlow Co-founders, Chris Molaro (US Army) and Adam Pardes
- Barn Owl Co-founders, Josh Phifer (US Air Force) and Vince Kuchar (US Army)
- Gauze Co-fouders, Suzanne Garber and Chris Garber (US Army)
- EGA Associates, LLC CEO, Jeremy Mock
- The Comprehensive Accident Reconstructive Specialists CEO, Preston Forchion, II (US Army)
- SwiKET CEO, Lyle Gal (US Army)
- Hire Served CEO, Jean South (military spouse and former FBI Special Agent)
- CyberSecurity for Hire CEO, Ron Fulton (US Army)
- GROUNDiT CEO, Jacob Murphy (US Army)
- XAppeal CEO, Dan Tobon (US Army)
“Many of our servicemen and women transition from the military with key entrepreneurial skills like leadership, discipline, and resiliency,” said Mark Schrieber, Region Manager of Chase Middle Market Commercial Banking. “Bunker Labs provides the resources and network our local veterans need to start successful and sustainable business, and we are proud to support them.”
Philadelphia area veterans who are considering entrepreneurship can also gain access to potential resources, programs and community that will help transform their military experience into business success.
All veterans, former military, entrepreneurs or business leaders are welcome. While the Muster Philadelphia is open to everyone, all veterans can attend free of charge. More information about tickets, sponsorship and the complete schedule, can be found here.
Idea Lab: Inspiring talks and panel discussions with political, military and entrepreneurial leaders covering topics such as leadership, innovation, investment and veteran social impact.
Innovation Lab: Veteran entrepreneurs and veteran-friendly businesses showcase their products and services- come see what’s new!
Mission BBQ Beef & Beer: For $50 guests will be provided craft beers, specialty cocktails from Tito’s Vodka, and awesome food provided by our friends at Mission BBQ.
12:00 - 1:00: Registration, Innovation Lab Opens!
1:00 – 1:30: Opening Ceremony
1:30 – 6:00: Idea Lab
4:30: Beer Garden Opens
6:00 – 6:30: Closing Ceremony
6:30 – 8:30: Mission BBQ Beef & Beer
Help us continue to forge a path for our transitioning veterans by joining us on this day, helping us fund our programs and events for 2018 and beyond!
Guest Speakers: Dan La Hart of Lincoln Financial Group and Ed Carr of Comcast
Building great teams (hiring) is one of the most important, expensive and difficult parts of building a company. Hear from our panel of experts who will provide insights on hiring, as well as tips from our transition expert on "getting hired" for veterans who are looking at the next phase of their career.